Justin Taylor got to have breakfast with J.I. Packer. He asked him Dr. Packer for the top 5 books to put in a basic theological library to give his kids some day.
Dr. Packer gave these 5:
- J.C. Ryle, Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress
- John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion
- Arnold Dallimore, George Whitefield: The Life and Times
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
So, my theological short list would contain the following:
- Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress
- Piper, The Pleasures of God
- Packer, Knowing God
- Dallimore, George Whitefield: The Life and Times
- Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion
(cf. My suggested reading list in order of books I would recommend a Christian read at some point in his/her spiritual development.
Who … er … what’s in your Fav 5?